Sunday, February 26, 2006

Gold Medal!

Well, it's not quite what I had in mind, but I persevered anyway.



The shoulders are funky, and I had to finish it off with commercial yarn because 1. I overestimated my fiber and 2. The medium green (here is invbetween the dark and light, for about 2 rows) was @#*! to spin, with fibers not longer than an inch and lots of noils, so I said $&^! it and stopped spinning the medium green.

So my capelet is done. And I learned about color in spinning. What did I learn? As far as I have transferred into rational thought,

1. It's not Noro.
2. My color changes weren't as gradual as I thought.
3. Adding in little chunks of other colors turns into stripes.
4. To get blended colors, it doesn't work to just spin other colors in. (I'm assuming the corrolary to this is that you blend before you spin, but as I haven't done this, I can't be sure)
5. I like this yarn better in skeins.
6. My shoulders aren't as wide as I envisioned, and apparently not as wide as I measured either.
7. Wait, that's knitting learning, not spinning.

All in all, I had fun. The spinning went way quicker than I thought, and I liked the straight stitch groove. I even tried a new cast off, the picot edge (with a few regular bind-offs in between the picots), and used a crochet hook to bind off. Now I need a set of crochet hooks, because it makes binding off SO MUCH EASIER. Not that it was hard, but it's just what crochet hooks were designed to do.

And I finished with minutes to spare.

I'm actually awarding myself a bronze medal. It's not my personal best effort, but I stretched myself and pushed through a project that otherwise would have cluttered the yarn stash for an extended period of time.

Happy Olympics, and enjoy the closing ceremonies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

Oh my goodness, with all you learned and an FO at the finish line, I definitely think you deserve gold!

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you deserve a gold for simply attempting to spin AND knit your whole project in 16 days, good job! And I love how colorful it is!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home