Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Silk and Cashmere

When I started spinning, a woman that I didn't know very well gave me a most generous gift. She gave me some silk and cashmere roving, some angora, and a drop spindle made with a porcupine quill.

The silk and cashmere is certainly challenging to spin. I was spinning some this summer, and it kept sticking to my sweaty fingers. I found some rose-scented talcum powder (yum!) to keep this from happening.

I spun some on the drop spindle, and some on the wheel. This is from the wheel:


It's pretty thick, when you consider what this fiber is capable of. I am not done with the roving, but I wanted the bobbin back. I also want to knit this as singles, and the vision that I have is of lacy wristlets.

It had a lot of overspinning twist in it, so I steamed it over a tea kettle on the niddy-noddy. The steam did a bang-up job, and the yarn actually feels a bit stiff.

I also want to try spinning the next bit much finer, and plying it. I also have an ounce of quiviut that is waiting to be played with.

Tomorrow is knitting night! I need to decide what project to bring now that I'm done with my sweater. I need to take pics of a kiddo hat that I made to use up some odds and ends. I need to do a lot of things! I'll spare you the rest of the list.

Tonight is more plying! Pics of that soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home