Thursday, July 06, 2006

White S, Z, S Boucle

So what is this S, Z stuff? The direction that I spin yarn. If the fibers are twisting like \\, then it's S, as in the direction the diagonal goes in the letter S. Vice-versa for Z. (Contrary to what the Boucle instructor said, it's not the way your wheel turns. Digression possible, but skipped.)

I was re-reading my Spin-Off Winter 2005 issue (because I bought a weavette loom, but that's another story), and read an article on novelty yarns including boucle. Judith Mackenzie McCuin says that boucle is one S, one Z, one thick, one thin, one tight, one loose, and in any combination. I'm working on a boucle right now, with generic white wool singles, overspun as I could get them without twisting back on itself, plied with needlepoint? cotton.

My current dilemma: Do I keep on keepin' on, or wind it off and experiment with other techniques with the same fibers? Tune in next time to find out what I decided.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home