Monday, December 19, 2005

Noro Daria and Black Ice

Bamboo usually stands up straight. Today it's acting as a thermometer, it started out here:

and is rising back up as the ice melts off of it.
This is the reason that I'm posting instead of on the road to a winter vacation. Here in Oregon we excel at black ice instead of nice fluffy white snow. Our current plan is to shift the trip a day, but we'll see how the mountain passes are tomorrow. Today was minimum 2 hours delay due to accidents.

In other news, I gave into a silly whim and bought a skein of Noro Daria. It was in such pretty colors! Yes, I knew that I wouldn't like knitting it, and wasn't sure what it would be used for, I admit it. But I bought it anyway. Such is the power of shiny things, especially in a blue and brown colorway.

After googling for patterns, I ended up back at Grumperina's pattern in Mag Knits, for a little purse/bag. I thought that it would be cute in stockinette, but the guage was super loose and big with that. I gave in and followed the pattern (well, I cast on 20 instead of 18 st).

And don't let the photo fool you! It's dinky! About 6 inches in length.
I considered making a belt instead, but then the practical imp on my shoulder whispered that it has been years since I've worn one. (And a little bag is how much more useful?)

Speaking of not really enjoying the knitting process, I had to switch to circular needles because the double-pointed ones kept slipping out of the stitches. Even bamboo, which I can usually count on for a little grip!

Now I need help deciding on a button. Comment solicitation time! Help me decide!

I had a little cording left over, so I made a 5-stich I-cord, and noticed that it was just long enough to fit around my wrist. Can't say that I've ever worn knitted jewelry before, but why not start now? (Looks good with the long underwear top, eh?)

Off to knit some more, there is one project underway that is not able to be shared quite yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home