Monday, December 05, 2005

Two Mittens in Orange and Essential Stripe Update

Here they are! My homespun is now mittens. (I have very fond associations of the word "homespun" from Little House on the Prairie" books. It sounds so wholesome.)

Well, yes, I was hoping that you wouldn't point out that one has white stripes, while the other one doesn't. Shhh. At least they both have stripes. I'll remind you that this was my first adventure with more than 1 color.

How to get stripes: Spin one strand of striped yarn. Spin another, and ply them. If the stripes on both strands line up, you get the mitten on the right. If they don't, you get the mitten on the left. If you're me, you get both.

I didn't expect that I was consistent enough in my spinning to get a significant number of stripes lining up. But here we are! Don't get me wrong, I think that it's charming, and the asymmetry does not offend my sensibilities.


She's a-striping! The photo is a bit misleading in that the folds in the fabric imply that the shoulders go there. They really go more around the second teal stripe. The V-neck is not as deep as I thought from the pattern photos, oh well. It's more like a crew neck with a point.

I carry this in a plastic bag in my bicycle pannier with me to my rotations. I started a new one today, and it's always comforting to pull out my knitting at lunch. A nice anchor while I'm bouncing from place to place.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Essential is coming along nicely, but I must say, I'm diggin' your mittens. They're very neat, even with the mismatching stripes. LOVE 'em!

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home