Sunday, November 13, 2005

Oops! Did I just buy more fiber?



I was driving along, minding my own business, when I saw the sign. Dyelots. In an old house that is awkwardly stuck between two main streets. I skreeched to a halt. Well, ok, I circled the block. And inside, there was fiber! And yarn! Now yarn I can get at the two whole yarn shops in town, and one of them even has an eensie bit of wool for spinning, in 2 colors: white and brown. But this, this was colorful wool! (And there were some nice blends, cashmere and silk, but I'm mad at the cashmere/silk blend I'm trying to spin, so I ignored those.)

There was one handspun skein for sale that was just beautiful. It had tons of vibrant colors. I want to spin something like it. So far I've only had one foray into spinning with different colors, with the aforementioned mittens. So I scooped up one pre-pack, and added some other loose colors to it. And you can see the result.

I'm really trying to use up some of my stash. The orange/red mittens are proof that it's working, at least a little.

Did I mention that they have two walls covered in bins of different colored wools? Janis is a dyer, and boy she makes good colors. And she has painted roving.

Usual fiber buying pattern: Once a year at the Black Sheep Gathering. New pattern: Who knows?

But, I have some spinning to do before I go back.

Here is a finished mitten:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, you're so lucky! I wish we had a shop like that here!
Ugh, cashmere and silk? I'm totally drooling here.

That is a super mitten. Great spinning!

Welcome to the Sexy Knitters ;)

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home