Monday, December 18, 2006

Knitty Winter 2006 Gems

First of all, for Jeanette:

Wow! Knitted blade covers! I should have thought of it first! (Of course, I'm thinking a nice absorbent cotton lining instead of water resistant wool...)

And one that caught my eye, the Argosy:

I like the crossing of the color stripes and the eyelet pattern, and the edge.



This is one of the things for which I feel very thankful: my craft room. A whole room to fill with my crafty ingredients. And since it is occasionally used as a guest room, it actually gets a cleaning once in a while. My Viking sewing machine is glowing there on the table. It is slightly older than I am. My father bought it for my mother when I was in the womb (awww). The first time that I had to get it fixed, it was still under its 25-year warranty. No, that's not a type-o, twenty-five year warranty. Gotta love it.

I've been having lots of craft zone moments. My brain goes into a mode that reminds me of when I used to take math classes, where I'm thinking in a non-verbal fashion. I might start out with an idea in mind, or I might just go and hit the stash of craft supplies to see what I come up with. Often this urge is coupled with the urge to use up the items that I hoard for these occasions. It's a pity that it takes longer to make things than it does to acquire the materials, as I acquire more than I make.

I've wrapped gifts in fabric before, but I missed the crisp edges of paper wrapping, and safety pins looked a little hokey for fasteners. So this year, with my somewhat newfound knowledge of spray starch (my husband has taught me many wonderful things), sale remnants, and a fortuitous hoarding of double-sided quarter-inch fabric tape, I wrapped:

Snazzy, eh?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very snazzy! I wrap like a two year old.

Argosy is a pretty knit. Skate covers? What will they knit next.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home