Sunday, January 27, 2008

It's snowing hats!



Snow on handspun hat
Looks warm but on the ground is
Not keeping ears warm

This was born in one week! Last sunday I spun the wool, plied it, wound it into a ball, and started knitting from the top down. This sunday I wove in ends!

The wool is 2 ounces of merino that I received as a gift from a birthday exchange (I think it was in 2006). I wasn't so wild about the color unspun, but the color improved with spinning. I spun it fast and dirty, trying to get thick and thin. I knit it on size 3 needles, the nubs stand out well in a tightly knit fabric. I knit from the top down, and used every last inch of the two ply. I then used the navaho/chained singles from the bobbin end to cast off.

And I've been busting stash like nobody's business! It started with this fun scarf that I first saw on Saartje Knits. So simple, 1x1 rib alternating skeins of Noro Kureyon in the same colorway. On the needles (size 8 maybe?) It was about 9 inches wide and not quite long enough. I held it over a tea kettle while I was stretching it, and it blocked to about 6 inches wide and plenty long.



And it continued with crochet hats:


On the top right is all Elsebeth Lavold angora left over from the chukar arm warmers. The top left is that plus Waterlily? merino wool. (I ran out of angora and had to get creative.) Middle two hats are Noro Kureyon that I got in anticipation of knitting Lizard Ridge, which I never started. You know all about the lower right already. Lower left is Mountain Colors with Noro Cash Iroha trim (the uneven edge is very clever ear shaping).

All this in January! Yay! There is plenty more stash to bust, but this is a great leap forward!

The knitted hats are not just about using up accumulated yarn though, I have never been a fan of the hats that I have knitted, and I decided to knit lots of them until I got what I wanted. The green hat is the closest so far.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that was quick! Bring it along on Thursday, I want to see it in person. :)

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll eventually get the perfect hat and wow! That's a lot! Great stashbusting.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice work! I noticed that your hair is longer. Very cute.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home